Sunday, September 25, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere...





Since moving to Point Richmond, I've gotten back into swimming and have been swimming every now and then at the local community pool, which is a 5-minute walk from my place. When I heard there was going to be an open swim event at Keller Beach (also a 5-minute walk from my place) I knew I wanted to do it just to do it and to test my fitness level.

Of the three events offered (a 2-mile, 1-mile, and 1/2-mile swim), I figured it would be better to try the 1/2-mile. Albert and I signed up this morning around 8am, received a latex swim cap with a color that denoted our swim event (pink for 2-mile, yellow for 1-mile, and orange for 1/2-mile), and picked up an event shirt. I was number 100, Albert was 102. The event started in waves with the 2-milers going first, then the 1-milers, then the 1/2-milers. There were lots of people in the 2 and 1 mile group and not so many in the 1/2-mile group. I purchased a wetsuit just for this event since I didn't want to freeze. Albert didn't get a wetsuit, but said the temperature of the water was fine.

Everyone entered the water from the beach. As I started swimming I could see my group split into two: the faster swimmers and the slower swimmers. I was in the latter group. During the first leg, I accidentally swallowed and inhaled a lot of salty bay water, which was unpleasant. I couldn't get used to submerging my face to continously do a freestyle stroke so I alternated between freestyle, breaststroke, and backstroke. There were many times when it seemed that I wasn't actually making progress. On the way back from the first leg, the waves were a little easier to deal with and I enjoyed seeing the beach from the water. When I finally got close enough to the beach, I touched the sand with my feet and ran to the finish. My time was 29 minutes and 6 seconds!

Albert and I are really happy we participated in this event. If we were to do it again, we'd train for it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment