Friday, January 22, 2010

Retail Therapy

Bad news: I am not going to Cancun for Cindy's bachelorette event due to a cancelled flight out of Oakland, which then has the domino effect of effectively cancelling my continuation flights. Damn, you thunderstorm! But good news: I am to receive a full refund from this fiasco. And while I am sad that I was half-packed for Cancun with bikinis, sun hat, and 20 count of Immodium in tow, this means I can spend the money on something else. And with a letdown like that, who wouldn't want some retail therapy? So what did I spend it on? A sewing class in February from Stone Mountain in Berkeley!!!

At this point, I imagine interspersed, unenthused clapping so let me explain in numbered list format.

1. I need a new hobby because I have too much time on my hands and I don't want to waste away playing video games on my DS and surfing the web all the damn time.
2. My current textile hobby, knitting and crocheting, does not provide enough instant gratification. I can only knit for an hour maximum and I have no patience for long-term projects like sweaters. This leaves me with only pot holders, scarves, or hats and you can have too many of those items.
3. My mouth is already watering at the thought of what I can accomplish with sewing skills. Tiered skirts! Wrap dresses! Stripped cotton shirts! Belted tunics! Tweed jackets! The perfect white button down shirt without breast pockets or darting!

I'm so excited, I actually need to inhibit the strong desire to run out and buy a sewing machine at Target to fiddle around with.

**Update**

Here's some stuff I purchased from Stone Mountain: fabric, bias tape, thread, and fabric scissors. FABRIC SCISSORS!


I will have made a cotton drawstring (or elastic) waistband skirt by completion of the class. Here's a better view of the fabric I purchased.



The skirt is supposed to be cut on the bias so I hope it turns out ok. I had quite a time in the store picking out fabric that was different from the other skirts I already own, heavy or dark enough where I wouldn't need a petticoat, and something that would work well with other items in my wardrobe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment